MyAuditions - Welcome!

spacer2.gif (981 bytes)

Our Vision

MyAuditions    MyAuditions Forums    MyAuditions Community Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Auditions    Los Angeles Philharmonic: Principal Flute & Principal Bassoon
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Los Angeles Philharmonic: Principal Flute & Principal Bassoon
 Login/Join 
Gold Member
Picture of Eurobassoon
posted Hide Post
Two years have passed - does the LA Phil have a new principal bassoonist yet?

Posts: 103 | Registered: December 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Heavyweight Member
posted Hide Post
The word on the street is that Whitney Crockett, formerly of the Jacksonville and Montreal symphonies and currently in the Met Opera, will be starting the job in the fall.

Posts: 81 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
on the other side-topic that was in this thread: the Detroit Symphony tunes at 441, not 442.

It is not uncommon for North American orchestras to tune at anywhere between 440 to 442. It is a very wise idea for those who are taking an audition to know what the tuning pitch is of the orchestra they are auditioning for!

Posts: 2 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I contacted the LA Phil 3-4 months ago, and they told me that they would send me a press release when the bassoon position was official. They still haven't sent it to me. I have heard from a very reliable source the same thing as Flaky Pastry.

Posts: 734 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: April 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDBassoon:
When you start at 442 you can go only go up from there, which was torturous for me, having spent my life learning to play 440. Just my 2 cents

Badoom ching!

Posts: 6 | Registered: November 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Member
Picture of Eurobassoon
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your information. Looks like we'll see an audition for principal bassoon at the Met within the reasonable future. I looked at the Met website, and they say "Orchestra auditions are advertised in two publications — “Allegro” and “International Musician.” ". Does this mean they don't advertise auditions online at all?

Posts: 103 | Registered: December 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
The AFofM magazine is available on line, but you have to be a member. I am a member of the International Double Reed Society, and I personally post any oboe/bassoon jobs that I know about on our website. I might not post every single one individually, but I wouldn't miss posting a MET audition. That is too important to miss. I post links to places where all the jobs are listed. Normally, I don't post individual jobs; however, the Met Orchestra is a big job, and it would deserve special attention.

It looks like the bassoon position is official.

http://www.laphil.com/philpedia/musicians.cfm

Bassoons
Whitney Crockett, Principal
Shawn Mouser, Associate Principal
Michele Grego
Patricia Kindel

Contrabassoon
Patricia Kindel

Posts: 734 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: April 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post